Monday, August 10, 2009

The Amazing Race

This post is for all of the husbands who occasionally check the Sorensen blog (all two of you). If you didn't already guess, this is Shawn writing. Last week was my first week without law school so I volunteered to help out the 16-18 yr old scouts for half of a week. Their high adventure this year was "The Amazing Race". It really was AMAZING. I was only there half of the week and for those days that I was there we had a ton of fun. There were pushup competitions, rifle shooting, archery, we bribed someone to let us in a REALLY long ferry line (cookies and drinks); we went trail running to a waterfall; Photobucket
we had a kayak race that was followed by a dive and then a swim; we visited many historical sites; the scouts had a bicycle race down a mountain; stopped off in a little town that nobody has heard of...Forks, what kind of name is that? Photobucket
Photobucket
we went to the Hoh Rain Forest, where the scouts had to identify some of the plant life; we stopped at Ruby beach, where the scouts built a fort with a flag pole out of drift wood;
Photobucket
we stopped at some really, really BIG trees;
Photobucket
we had fire building contests at Kalaloch beach; we had a horse-shoe competition; and that is just a few of the competitions that we got to have while I was there for half of the week.
Now an added element to all of this is that it was timed, so everyone was trying to do these things as quickly as possible. The boys could also earn extra points by memorizing scripture masteries, or passing off Duty to God requirements, but the whole group had to do it. Out of 8 teams in the stake, our boys placed 5th. I had so much fun and now I have a lot of new ideas where to take my family camping.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

4 comments:

Julia said...

Shawn, that sounds like the most "amazing" scouting adventure I've ever heard of. I'll make sure Ryan sees this post--he'll love it.

Tricks are for Kidds said...

Wow, those pictures are GREAT! It looks like you had a terrific time. I'm in awe of the picture of the GIANT tree...it's so so so cool. I will definitely get my hubby on the computer to see your adventure.

Mindy said...

Okay - send me the address. Those places are beautiful! I'd LOVE to go there. I liked how you just put in some random vamp photos :)

Shannon said...

Shawn, that sounds like an awesome activity! I will have to pass it on to the YM leaders in our stake. Your photo of Ruby beach is breathtaking.