

Its 2:00am when Shawn is startled by a mysterious noise. Cautiously, he cracks one eyelid open in the direction of the sound, and groggily listens for any additional clue as to what woke him up.
“For the thousandth time, get up Shawn, I’m in labor,” Andrea pleads.
Adrenaline kicks in and the heaviness of sleep disappears as Shawn leaps from bed and dresses in mid-air. As his feet touch the ground the multi-tasking is already well under way. Calls are placed to the hospital and to a Relief Society President (who will watch Kinsley), the garbage is taken out, the house is cleaned, and the bags are packed all while trying to time how long between contractions and how long the contractions are.
And this is exactly how it happened…unless you ask Andrea.

[Andrea speaking] Let me just set a few things straight. First of all, I did a lot of preparation before hand, so that when the time came we did not have to run around crazy-like. I also prepared the house well in advance, Shawn said I was OCD (Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder) about keeping the house clean, but I just wanted to come home and have things in order. Lastly, Shawn sleeps so deeply that it is a miracle that I actually got him up. Anyway we arrived at the hospital shortly after 3:30am. I was in a lot of pain while on the drive there and shared with Shawn my fear that I might not be able to go “natural.” However, when the doctor checked me, I was dilated to an 8 [At this point an epidural would take effect after our baby’s birth]. Good thing I had a natural birth already in mind, because it was going to happen that way whether I liked it or not. My labor was only 3 1/2 hours from start to finish (a serious blessing!). The doctor was amazing and Shawn a fabulous couch, he cried a lot less this time around and was able to help me keep my focus (I'm sure he appreciated me sharing that with all of you!)Grant Stephen Sorensen was born April 20, 2007 at 5:22am. His birth weight was 8 lb. 2 oz. and he was 20.5 inches long. In the end we were blessed with a handsome baby boy and a really beautiful experience.
2 comments:
What a beautiful nephew! I also loved the different points of view of the pre-birth period. I can't wait until I get to hold him. ~Head
He is so stinkin' cute! I can't wait to see him!!!!
Post a Comment